Dr Puah is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Artisan Sports & Orthopaedic Clinic. He was previously practising as a Consultant with the Sports Service at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital. He graduated from Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Singapore in 2005 and completed orthopaedic residency training as part of the pioneer batch of SingHealth Orthopaedic Surgery Residents.
Dr Puah was SingHealth’s first Orthopaedic Surgery Chief Resident, having attended the Singapore Chief Residency Programme, a National healthcare leadership training programme.
Dr Puah was ranked as one of the Top 3 SingHealth Chief Residents across the different SingHealth Residency Programmes in 2015.
Dr Puah has added training:
- 🇺🇸 In Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine as a Visiting Scholar to Tulane University School of Medicine, Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine under Dr Felix ‘Buddy’ Savoie III, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- 🇫🇷 As a Shoulder and Upper Limb Fellow under Dr Laurent Lafosse at Alps Surgery Institute, Clinique Générale d'Annecy, Annecy, France
- 🇨🇭 Having completed an AOTrauma Fellowship under Prof. Dr. med. Ralph Hertel at Lindenhof, Bern, Switzerland.
Dr Puah is the only Singaporean trained by Dr Laurent Lafosse* at the Alps Surgery Institute, Annecy, France.
* Dr. Laurent Lafosse is a pioneer of modern shoulder surgery and has had numerous scientific papers published in international peer reviewed journals.
Beyond fellowship training, Dr Puah has visited multiple overseas hospitals:
- 🇨🇳 As part of the 301 Hospital Joint (Hip and Knee Arthroplasty) Fellowship, Beijing, China
- 🇰🇷 Visiting Surgeon Program on Elbow Repair & Elbow Arthroscopy to Asan Medical Center, Seoul South Korea
- 🇺🇸 Observership at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke University, Durham, USA
- 🇵🇭 As one of 2015 - Top 3 SingHealth Chief Residents and Attachment to Section of Shoulder Surgery and Section of Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine of the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Santo Tomas Hospital, Manila, Philippines
Having benefitted from teaching and mentoring throughout his career, Dr Puah believes in teaching the next generation of medical professionals. He is actively involved in medical student education, postgraduate training and medical leadership training. He has held academic appointments at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Singapore, Duke-NUS Medical School and Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine and was Clinical Physician Faculty for the SingHealth Orthopaedic Residency Training Programme and Core Faculty for the SingHealth PGY1 Programme.
He has served in various capacities within the Singapore Orthopaedic Association Executive Committee as Honorary Secretary and Scientific Chair for the Singapore Orthopaedic Association’s Annual Scientific Meeting and as a Speciality Board Member, Chapter of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Academy of Medicine Singapore. He is a volunteer with the Handicaps Welfare Association and is serving as a Reservist Orthopaedic Surgeon with the Singapore Armed Forces.